[html4all] Introductions or a Who's who of html4all (was Just curious)

Laura Carlson laura.lee.carlson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 11:16:44 PDT 2007

John Foliot wrote:
>> Who *is* applegoddess at gmail.com?

Jane Lee wrote:
> Hi John,

> I'm me. :)

[snip Jane's nice introduction]

Welcome, Jane. Glad to have you with us.

Thanks so very much for posting an introduction. That's a great idea.

All html4all new comers, and inaugural members [1] please feel free to
post your own brief intro to the list! The following is mine.

My name is Laura Carlson.

I am employed at the University of Minnesota Duluth as an Information
Technology Professional, working mainly in web design and development
and specializing in web standards design and development,
accessibility, CSS, HTML, usability, and information architecture.
I've been a web designer for over a dozen years and worked in the
university environment for over twenty years. Before that I was busy
getting my masters degree and managing a couple corporations.

I joined the HTML5 working Group in March 2007 after reading Ian
Hickson's blog post where he said,

"I encourage everyone interested in the development of HTML5 to take
part. If you don't take part, and the language develops in a way you
don't like, then you have but yourself to blame...Taking part in the
group is not a big commitment. You can spend as much or as little time
contributing; you don't need to read every e-mail on subjects you
don't care about, you don't need to call in or attend face-to-face
meetings. In fact, the W3C has stated in the group's charter that no
binding decisions will be made at meetings; you are guaranteed equal
say whether you are present or not."
http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1173385976&count=1

I've tried to help out where and when I could within the HTML5 working
Group (mainly tracking issues, wiki work). On some issues, I began
emailing a group of accessibility folks within/outside of the WG.
Yada, yada, yada. That lead to John graciously offering to a host a
HTML5 watchdog listserv/wiki/blog which is now html4all.org.

For more information about me visit "Ten questions for Laura Carlson"
over at the Web Standards Group:
http://webstandardsgroup.org/features/laura-carlson.cfm

Linkedin info is at:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lauracarlson