[html4all] Another summary of alt="" issues and why the spec says what it says

Steven Faulkner faulkner.steve at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 23:44:56 PDT 2008

>I agree it wouldn't necessarily be obvious to the computer, but it's the
>user that matters, and I can't really see why the association wouldn't be
>obvious to the user.

becasue being contiguous is a wek relationship and prone to error.
for example some AT use a heauristic to work out what it thinks a label for
a control is if its not explicitly associated using the for/id or title
attrbute. for a text input it looks for text to the left of the input an
announces that if it finds it. Works some of the time, dosn't work other
times. The AT user relies on the computer (AT) to recognize the
associations, thus an explcict association as supplied by the author is
usually a much more robust.

= utility of aria-describedby

See Ya!

--