[html4all] ACRONYM and ABBR

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Apr 23 21:06:20 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 05:43:46AM +0200, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> What do the AT professionals of our group think in general about the
> removal of ACRONYM from HTML, as proposed in HTML 5?

It would be better to have only one element, as then the interminable
disagreements and confusions surrounding the acronym/abbreviation distinction
are eliminated.
> Currently, it is proposed to drop the requirement of @TITLE for the ABBR
> element.

While I think @title should be supported, I am not convinced that its use
should be mandatory - that it should be a required attribute. According to the
HTML 4.01 DTD, it is not required; rather, it is #implied.

Dropping @title altogether from ABBR would be a bad move, as there would then
be no place to record the expansion of the abbreviation.