[html4all] providing proper pronunciation for abbreviated forms

Gregory J. Rosmaita oedipus at hicom.net
Sun Apr 27 08:16:28 PDT 2008

aloha, rob!

pronunciation rules for the ennunciation of abbreviated forms
should be controlled by aural stylesheets, including instructions
to AT how to pronounce an acronym or expansion -- the reason you
hear the acronym spelt out is that that is the default setting for
most screen readers -- in the case of FireVox, if the page has CSS3
speech properties

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-speech/

applied to it, one can control:

1. speak: - default value 'normal' | 'spell-out' (this is backwards
compatible with CSS2/CSS2.1)

2. phonemes, @phonetic-alphabet, and content
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-speech/#phonetic-props

so, in the case of NATO, one would use the CSS3 Speech Module's
phoneme property, the default alphabet for which is comprised of
the unicode values for the international phonetic alphabet (IPA)

IPA in Unicode / Unicode and IPA
* general: http://unicode.org/press/quotations.html
* comprehensive: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm

this is something, i suppose, i ought to add to the HTML wiki pages on
abbreviated forms, although i have argued in the past that it isn't
just screen readers who may need a pronunciation guide, but those for
whom the document's natural language is a secondary or tertiary language

gregory.
I love Americans, but not when they try to talk French. What a
blessing it is that they never try to talk English.
                -- Saki (HH Munro), "The Chronicles of Clovis"
Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus at hicom.net
      Camera Obscura: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/
         Oedipus' Online Complex: http://my.opera.com/oedipus/