[html4all.org] [HDP] Response to Review of HTML Design Principles Questionnaire (fwd)

Robert Burns rob at robburns.com
Wed Aug 22 20:26:37 PDT 2007

Hi Leif,

While I am concerned the way they apply these principles (and the way
they equivocate everywhere even in the language of these principles),
I think they honestly do not mean this the way you're interpreting
it. This principle is not really related to the headers= issue. It is
about the UA conformance criteria, which insists that UAs continue to
support existing content.

A better way to state this (with less of their masterful equivocating
language) would be "Strive to support all existing content". This way
it is clearly stated as a goal and not sing the qualifier words like
"significant" which they'll later reveal to mean not the sites you
think are significant.

So I think they would say that HTML5 will support headers= as a UA
conformance criteria. In other words all browsers will be expected to
support the association between headers and data cells using the
headers attribute (as well as other attributes and the new HTML5
algorithm). However, they want to (or at least are considering)
dropping headers= entirely from the document conformance criteria.
This means authors who produce document s using headers= anywhere
will be non-conforming with HTML5. They will get an error from the
conformance checker for every headers= attribute in their document.

So Lachclan's example of <marquee> where it is not in the document
conformance criteria (authros are not supposed to use it), however it
is in the UA conformance criteria (meaning UAs are supposed to parse
it, add it to the DOM and maybe provide some tacky styling to it; I
haven't read how much support for marquee is in there)

I hope that is clear.

Take care,
Rob