[html4all.org] Fwd: Seeing the open issues

Steve Faulkner sfaulkner at paciellogroup.com
Fri Aug 24 06:33:06 PDT 2007

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner at paciellogroup.com>
Date: 24-Aug-2007 14:30
Subject: Re: Seeing the open issues
To: Dan Connolly <connolly at w3.org>
Cc: www-archive <www-archive at w3.org>

Hi Dan,

>Feel free to treat http://www.whatwg.org/issues/top just
>like any other random web page about HTML and ignore
>it, if you like.

In Ians original email he said that:

"You can even vote for an issue to indicate that it should be made a
priority (to do that, you'll have to have sent an e-mail that ended up
on that list, as I use that as a way to prevent random spammers from
trying to use this web app)."

So you saying "it can be ignored" means that it can be ignored if you don't
wish to have input (a vote) on what issues you think are should be dealt
with sooner rather than later.

there are two issues here that need to be dealt with:
1. There is a process set up outside of the HTML WG that affects the order
in which issues are dealt with.
2. That the client side application that  Ian has developed does not work
with a mainstream browser (IE) and therefore will cause issues for users of
assistive technology who do not possess the means (money to upgrade) or due
to technical limitations (software/hardware interoprability) are not allowed
to use the latest version of screen reading software such as JAWS (supports
Firefox in version 7.0+ - latest version is 8.0) or Window Eyes (supports
Firefox in 5.0+ , latest version 6.1)

Providing static and interactive content to the HTML WG in a form that can
be used by all current and future WG members should be a basic requirement.

Is setting some basic ground rules for editors of the specification, that
includes provision of accessible content, an unreasonable request?

If some simple design principles were adhered to there would be no need for
anybody to waste their time discussing such things.

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe