[html4all.org] alt on IMG on the wiki

Robert Burns rob at robburns.com
Fri Aug 24 12:10:53 PDT 2007

Hello 4all,

John has passed the keys to me on the wiki. I've never administered a
wiki before, so I'm trying to figure things out now.

BTW, it turns out adding alt to image is actually fairly simple to
do. We have to get the image upload part working first, but then alt
gets added to images through the standard wiki syntax. The weird
thing is that this is a big secret because of the wiki practice of
allowing anyone to edit the manual  whether they know what they're
talking about or not.

So as it turns out, if you add a vertical-bar and then the text for
alt. Adding another vertical bar and the keyword caption will
duplicate the text as both a caption and the alt.
[[image:tst.png|70x60px|abc]]

So I have a question for you practicing web gurus. How do they make
the alt text show up as a tooltip in Safari and other browsers (it
looks like it's coming from title which is why the wiki manual got
edited to "clarify" that). I'm going to have to dive into their
javascript unless any of you know the answer.

Take care,
Rob