[html4all] List Serve

Robert Burns rob at robburns.com
Sat Aug 25 22:27:05 PDT 2007

Hi John,

Thanks for the compliment, but it was more luck than anything. You'll
notice I created several other lists and several email accounts in
the process. And God only knows what damage I did to the list
settings in the process. But basically here are the problems as I
understand it. When the list was created it was actually called
list at html4all.org. However, the list serve was only looking for the
pre@ part of the name. So it turned that into
list_html4all.org at html4all.org. So there's a place to enter an alias
name for the list: "list". Then I think it also wanted to know there
was an email account on the server with the name "list". So I also
created an email account with that name.

Basically, every time it received an email form someone, it was
checking to see if the address they were sending it to was the same
as the list name (it wasn't). Then it was checking with the host
(postfix on itself) to see if the account actually existed (and that
didn't either). But now they do. Next on to the wiki stuff, and I
think that's going to be tougher.

Take care,
Rob