[html4all] news from the trenches

Steve Faulkner sfaulkner at paciellogroup.com
Sun Aug 26 09:06:15 PDT 2007

There has been a somehwat heated exchange over on the whatwg blog that some
of us have been involved in:
Why the Alt Attribute May Be Omitted [http://blog.whatwg.org/omit-alt]

Also
apparently "frank" a reader of Roger's blog agrees with me about
hicks html 5 "issues page" issue:

[
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200708/the_html_5_circus_why_i_left_and_rejoined_the_w3c_html_working_group/#comment35
]

Frank wrote:
"For those people who are enchanted with HTML5, this example of what the
WHAT WG thinks is open and inclusive should be an indication of the
direction that HTML5 is taking the Web.

Ian Hickson wrote an application to list the outstanding issues with HTML5.
Here is the link:

http://www.whatwg.org/issues/

Guess what happens when you open the link with IE 7 (I assume the same
happens with IE 6)? You get this message:

"Your Web browser does not support DOM3 Core, which is required by this
application."

So much for open and inclusive!

Roger, glad you are going to re-join the HTML WG. They need more grown-ups."

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe