[html4all] any answers to a question posted on the webstandards group list?

Laura Carlson laura.lee.carlson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 08:47:06 PDT 2007

Steve Faulkner  wrote:

> alastair campbell wrote:
> "Does the HTML working group have to take into account accessibility
> guidelines?
>
> What I mean is, does it have to make alt mandatory because WCAG (any
> version) does?"

Hi Steve,

The following may also be helpful.

Back in May, Patrick asked about WAI being mandated to work with other
working groups:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2007AprJun/0030.html

Judy Brewer replied detailing processes and procedures to use:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2007AprJun/0045.html

Issues that bear looking into should be flagged in accordance with
Judy's email. I have followed this process and asked for help from and
escalated to Al Gilman, WAI and the PFWG through  the wai-xtech list
twice:

1. Headers attribute debate
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007May/0049.html
Response:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0145.html

2. Accessibility Advice on HTML 5 Design Principles
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0645.html
Response:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0924.html

Al Gilman encourages using this process to flag points that bear
looking into. They want to know when you see a topic in HTML WG
heading in a bad direction.

Laura
--
Laura L. Carlson