[html4all] Discussion: "Accept requirement for immediate mode graphics a la canvas element"

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Nov 21 08:28:05 PST 2007

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> When authors use the canvas element, they should also provide content
> that, when presented to the user, conveys essentially the same function or
> purpose as the bitmap canvas. This content may be placed as content of the
> canvas element. The contents of the canvas element, if any, are the
> element's fallback content.

Thank you, Anne.  I was trying to get this information from
the syntax description, and it seems somehow odd to me that
one should need to go into the prose in order to ascertain
whether a container's content is conditionally or
unconditionally rendered.  Do you believe that this information
is actually deducible from the syntax description, or
do you believe that the prose is the only source ?

Philip TAYLOR