[html4all] Numbered headings (was HTMLWG)

Vlad Alexander (XStandard) vlad.alexander at xstandard.com
Mon Nov 26 07:05:18 PST 2007

Hi Anne,

1. Using a numbered heading to represent a generic heading is going to be very confusing for users.

2. Redefining the semantic meaning of h1 is not backwards compatible.

3. This would cause problems for authoring tool vendors because the same element can be used in different contexts.

4. And more precisely, the X/HTML 5 spec does not in fact treat section/h1 as equivalent to the XHTML 2 section/h construct as illustrated by this example from X/HTML 5:

 <h1>Apples</h1>
 <section>
  <h2>Taste</h2>
  <section>
   <h3>Sweet</h3>
  </section>
 </section>
 <section>
  <h2>Color</h2>
 </section>

We therefore request that X/HTML 5 adopt the section/h construct from XHTML 2.

Regards,
-Vlad
http://xhtml.com