[html4all] Numbered headings (was HTMLWG)

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Nov 26 08:01:46 PST 2007

Vlad Alexander (XStandard) wrote:
> 2. Redefining the semantic meaning of h1 is not backwards compatible.

Please describe how this change could adversely affect legacy pages,
given that the alorithm is explicitly defined to deal with current usage
of h1-h6 as well as when they are nested within section elements.

> 4. And more precisely, the X/HTML 5 spec does not in fact treat
> section/h1 as equivalent to the XHTML 2 section/h construct as
> illustrated by this example from X/HTML 5:

>  <h1>Apples</h1>
>  <section>
>   <h2>Taste</h2>
>   <section>
>    <h3>Sweet</h3>
>   </section>
>  </section>
>  <section>
>   <h2>Color</h2>
>  </section>

I do not understand how that markup illustrates your point.  HTML5
allows the h2-h6 elements to be used within nested sections in place of
h1 elements so that authors may achieve better compatibility with
current browsers.  The heading structure for that would be semantically
identical to the equivalent markup using all h1 elements instead.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/