[html4all] Numbered headings (was HTMLWG)

Vlad Alexander (XStandard) vlad.alexander at xstandard.com
Mon Nov 26 08:20:54 PST 2007

Hi Lachlan,

> Please describe how this change could adversely affect legacy pages
This would not affect legacy pages. This will affect legacy tools. For example, an accessibility checker tool or markup validator reports to users on incorrect use of headings. Currently it will report two errors in the following markup:

<h3></h3>
<h1></h1>
<h6></h6>

Error 1: lower value heading precedes higher value heading

Error 2: headings skipped

Now, if someone is writing an X/HTML 5 Web page, the previous markup is valid but the user will still get an error message in the accessibility validator built into their legacy authoring tool.

This is why changing the semantics of h1 to h6 is not backwards compatible.

Regards,
-Vlad
http://xhtml.com