[html4all] Omitting alt Attribute for Critical Content Wiki page

Gez Lemon gez.lemon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 01:57:24 PDT 2007

Hi Phil,

On 24/10/2007, Philip TAYLOR
<Philip-and-LeKhanh at royal-tunbridge-wells.org> wrote:
> Prompting for ALT text for bulk uploads
> is clearly problematic (an algorithmic
> proposal would be interesting to read)
> and I wonder how others would feel if,
> once all efforts had been made to extract
> the relevant ALT text from the uploader
> and these had failed, boiler-plate ALT
> text were to be inserted by the host
> reading (say) "Image uploaded on dd-mmm-yyyy by
> nnnn; no ALT text supplied".

I agree, and it comes back to areas of responsibility; it makes
perfect sense for the authoring tool to do what it can to get the
information from the content author. It's the content author's
responsibility to provide that information, but if they fail to
provide the information, it's better that the authoring tool uses
repair techniques, as they're more likely to understand the context.
If generic attributes such as labelledby and describedby are adopted
from ARIA, then the authoring tool could point to titles and
descriptions when provided.

Cheers,

Gez