[html4all] Omitting alt Attribute for Critical Content Wiki page

Harry Loots harry.loots at ieee.org
Wed Oct 24 06:16:37 PDT 2007

Thanks all for the comments to date.

Let there be no doubt that i agree one hundred per cent with the philosophy
that entering meaningful information is the responsibility of the editor.

Though it may not be obvious, it is with editor responsibility in mind that i
suggested the additional 'reserved' values for the alt attribute. (This
attribute value would be part of the CMS workstream.)

As an editor i would have to physically take action to select _omit. I'd do
this because i have not added a description for alt, because the description
or title already tells the full story about the image (eg: Company Name
appears adjacent company logo - logo contains company name; or the image is
purely of the 'gratuitous' type). If i, the editor responsible for this
page/section, ignore this completely then _ignore is entered - in other words
i'm telling the world that 'i could not be bothered'. This too would require a
conscious act. Brave or stupid it may be, but i am exercising a choice.

I'll comment separately on CMS algorithms etc - but think a separate thread
may be useful.

Regards
Harry