[html4all] Mission statement: equal versus equitable

Laura Carlson laura.lee.carlson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 08:26:57 PDT 2007

Hi Vlad,

> If there was a discussion about using "equal" versus "equitable", can
> someone summarize it for me?

Yes, funny you should ask that. I had used "equivalent" at first
because I was swayed a long time ago by Joe Clark's manifesto where he
said, "Equality is a misnomer. Equivalency is the goal." [1]. I have
used Joe's point time and time again, when people argue saying that it
is impossible to  provide alt text because  no words will ever  equal
their photo, or graphic, or artwork. My argument is that, no it won't
be "equal" and send them to Joe's Manifesto. The thing is most people
are not aware of Joe's logic.

It was pointed to me by someone quite wise (thank you Cathrine), that
equality is the true goal and equivalence is a means to achieve it.
And that equality an ideal that is firmly established in human
consciousness.

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/AccessManifesto.html#p-610