[html4all] Accessible to whom (or to which groups) ?

Laura Carlson laura.lee.carlson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:44:45 PDT 2007

Gez wrote:

> I fully support universality, access for all, or any other name that
> includes everyone, but not at the expense of catering for whims, as
> opposed to aspects that people cannot change about themselves.

Agreed. The disabled are people who have  physical or mental
impairments that substantially limit one or more of the major life
activities. They can't change it. That's the key point.

> appreciate that there are other aspects of universality that aren't
> necessarily whims, such as people in remote locations with poor
> connectivity,

That's me :-)

> but I wouldn't consider dropping accessibility
> provisions in order to reduce the size of a page.

Nor would I. But most of the time accessibility and web standards
reduce page size.

Best Regards,
Laura
--