[html4all] Accessible to whom (or to which groups) ?

Gez Lemon gez.lemon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:52:37 PDT 2007

On 25/10/2007, Philip TAYLOR
<Philip-and-LeKhanh at royal-tunbridge-wells.org> wrote:
> Maybe because it is an insular, parochial,
> perspective ?  Would you be happy to see
> a similar statement in an analogous document
> that claims that accessibility is about making
> web content accessible to black people, or
> white people, or Muslims, or Jains, or Catholics ?
> Surely the whole basis of our belief is that
> the web should be accessible to /all/, not to
> just one disadvantaged group ?

We're not comparing like with like. If an individual or group was
racist, I would most definitely make a stand against them. Whether you
like it or not, people with disabilities are not treated the same as
those without on the web. Religion and ethnicity tend not to be locked
out, as they don't necessarily determine the person's mode of
operation. Please read the rest of my previous reply to try and
understand the point I was trying to make (although I'm obviously
making it very badly).  People with disabilities cannot choose to
improve their sensory, mobility, or cognitive abilities at will,
whereas other constraints that come under universality can be changed
(such as browser, network, and so on; at least to some extent).
Disability is not a dirty word, and is not a word that should be
avoided when talking about access for all on the web.

Gez