[html4all] phonetic of some word or name

Gez Lemon gez.lemon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 02:56:08 PDT 2007

Hi Aurélien,

On 27/10/2007, aurélien levy <aurelien.levy at free.fr> wrote:
> I have a suggestion to do :
> did you think as me that it can be useful to have a new html element to
> markup phonetic pronunciation of a word or name.

I agree that's a good idea. A Japanese friend told me that he uses the
Ruby Annotation Model [1] from the XHTML 1.1 suite to provide phonetic
pronunciations. The downside is that it's only rendered correctly in
IE (from IE5, I think), and IE doesn't support the correct MIME type
for XHTML 1.1. But maybe Ruby notation could be incorporated in HTML 5
(at least it's a cowpath that leads to somewhere useful).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/

Gez