[html4all] Accessible to whom (or to which groups)

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Oct 29 06:10:42 PDT 2007

Joshue O Connor wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
>> And that is
>> why I dislike the divisive language of WCAG 1.0 and
>> WCAG 2.0
>
> I never thought of it as divisive.

Let me start by apologising to those whom my previous messages
upset, and in particular Laura, whom I know is worried about
the possibility of a schism within the group.  As I hope has
become clear now that the dust has settled, it was never my
intention to offend (and certainly not to accuse anyone of
racism : it is still unclear to me how anyone could have
though otherwise), but rather to point out that -- in my
opinion -- it will remain an uphill battle to gain support
for the precepts of acessibility all the while there are
suggesstions (in some cases, very overt suggestions) that
accessibility is "for the benefit of those with disabilities"
rather than "for the benefit of all".

[...]

>> I would like all of us who believe
>> in equality and equitability of treatment to state
>> that we believe that the web should be accessible
>> to /all/, not just to one particular group.
>
> And me. But in order to do that minority groups, like people with
> disabilities, have needs that must be addressed. This takes up time,
> resources, energy etc and some may say that it is possibly
> disproportionate, or skewed,  if a minority group require extra
> attention and extra resources. However, this is necessary and in a sane
> society - the way it should be. Lest we just become solipsistic,
> selfish, impersonal and uncaring.

With all of which, I too agree.  The problem (IMHO) is that
not everyone shares these views, and whilst it might be nice
to think we could gain accessibility-for-all through the
goodwill of those who /do/ share these views, it is more
realistic (IMHO) to accept that we will achieve accessibility-for-all
/faster/ if even the non-altruistic can perceive some benefit.

** Phil.