[html4all] Accessible to whom (or to which groups)

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Mon Oct 29 07:02:17 PDT 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:10:42 -0400, Philip Taylor (Webmaster)
<P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> ... whilst it might be nice
> to think we could gain accessibility-for-all through the
> goodwill of those who /do/ share these views, it is more
> realistic (IMHO) to accept that we will achieve accessibility-for-all
> /faster/ if even the non-altruistic can perceive some benefit.

Probably. But that means that we should figure out how to sell the package
easier when we figure out what we need - i.e. work out a solution, work
out if you can generalise it so it doesn't break something else, then work
out if in fact you can show benefits for others.

The basic goal of access for people with disabilities is to give access to
people with disabilities. If it costs more or is harder, so be it. If
there is a simpler way, of course, that's great, but simplicity is a
seperate goal of overall design (and entails not having things that help
one group but cost another one, if you can possibly avoid it).

cheers

Chaals

--
http://my.opera.com/chaals              Try the Kestrel - Opera 9.5 alpha