[html4all] Introductions or a Who's who of html4all (was Just curious)

skeegan at htctu.net skeegan at htctu.net
Sun Sep 2 12:49:59 PDT 2007

Laura Carlson wrote:
> All html4all new comers, and inaugural members [1] please feel free
> to post your own brief intro to the list! The following is mine.

Sean Keegan:

I am the Web Accessibility Instructor at the High Tech Center Training
Unit for the California Community Colleges.  A bit about the HTCTU -
we provide training, technical support, and research to the CA
community college system in the areas of assistive computer
technology, creation of alternate media, and Web accessibility.  We
work under a "train-the-trainer" model to identify best practices and
provide guidance to over 100 colleges to improve access to educational
materials for students with disabilites in our system.

As the Web Accessibility Instructor, I handle just about anything that
goes on the Web or involves Web-based technology.  I provide feedback
and develop trainings on HTML accessibility, CSS, video captioning,
PDF documents, Web evaluation/repair tools, and assistive technologies
(as it relates to Web content).  Most of the time I get brought into
the conversation after a product is purchased/implemented/created at
the campus and the question is "How do we make this accessible?"  Not
the ideal process, but the reality in that there is often a lack of
understanding and support at the local college level.  Most are not
attempting to create inaccessible resources, there is just not the
appropriate level of awareness or technical infrastructure.

John F. and I have some good conversations about Web accessibility in
the higher education environment and suggested participating in a
"positive-focused" working group.  Plus, he promised this would be
more fun than free beer.

Take care,
sean