[html4all] from hixies log - Fire, a two-hour weekend, accessibility, and other rants

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Thu Sep 6 08:24:59 PDT 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, John Foliot wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> So you're saying that the following should not be compliant?:

> Audio tracks should *never* be allowed to autostart (conflicts [you] with
> [are] screen [at] readers [the] - but [video] I know [page] that we'll never
> completely win that battle...) but IMHO, <video src="monkey.mpeg" controls
> autoplay></video> should be non-compliant.

You have to consider the alternative situation.  Without an autoplay
attribute, authors are going to resort to scripted techniques to achieve
the same effect by invoking video.play() upon loading.  Now consider how
much easier it is for user agents to provide preferences to override an
autoplay attribute, compared with overriding the scripted alternatives.

So while automatically playing may not be in the best interest of all
users, authors are going to do it anyway and, for those that do,
endorsing the least harmful method is ultimately more beneficial to the
end user.

Compare that with, for example, the following methods to open a popup
window:

Although popup windows are widely considered bad practice and should
ultimately be discouraged, it has been observed that the various
scripted solutions are often used by those who wish to open popup
windows, yet still consider validation against a Strict DOCTYPE
important.  From a users perspective, it is so much easier to configure
a browser to ignore target="_blank" than it is to override window.open().

So in both cases, it's better to endorse the lesser of 2 evils because
any attempt to forbid it will arguably lead to a much worse situation.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/