[html4all] HTML4all in public?

Philip TAYLOR Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Fri Sep 7 09:55:10 PDT 2007

Joshue O Connor wrote:

> Thats better. Love the "communicate medium-neutral semantics" bit. So to
> make it snappy how about,
>
> "presentational elements have no place in a language
> intended to communicate medium-neutral semantics"

Seems perfect to me.

> To put it all together it would read:

[snipped]

I've tweaked your version a little just to ensure
consistency of prosodic style :

> "We, the undersigned, believe that -- given the de facto position
> of HTML as /the/ primary markup language for the World Wide
> Web -- it is essential that HTML evolve in such a way
> as to ensure that the contents of any page in which it is
> correctly used are potentially accessible to all, regardless
> of the technology used to render the page, the primary medium
> through which it is rendered, and the physical and/or cognitive
> abilities of the person accessing the page.  To this end,
> we believe that HTML is, and must remain, a language through
> which the /semantics/ of the page are expressed and we
 > equally believe that presentational elements have no place
 > in a language intended to communicate medium-neutral semantics."

Tiny changes, no difference in intended meaning.

> Would that do? Or is the expression "presentation elements" not enough
> to cover any other elements you can think of that are "indicative of the
> intended appearance of the element in a visual medium"?

No, I'd disallow "elements that are indicative of the intended
sound of the element in an aural medium" as well :-)))

** Phil.