[html4all] HTML4all in public?

Laura Carlson laura.lee.carlson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 11:18:41 PDT 2007

> Good stuff Phil.

Great stuff Josh and Phil.

Perhaps add something about the human factor in the middle? Something like:

> We, the undersigned, believe that -- given the de facto position of
> HTML as /the/ primary markup language for the World Wide Web -- it is
> essential that HTML evolve in such a way as to ensure that the
> contents of any page in which it is correctly used are potentially
> accessible to all, regardless of the technology used to render the
> page, the primary medium through which it is rendered, and the
> physical and/or cognitive abilities of the person accessing the page.

We believe that the next generation of HTML must recognize that for
online information, there is:

   1. No standardized user and
   2. No standardized device (browser or other user agent) for
accessing information

Commitment to providing equitable access to web-based information
creates an environment that supports all people, regardless of the
methods they use to access that information.

Evolving HTML to define and provide features that make the web more
accessible, universal, and inclusive is the socially responsible and
the right thing to do. It demonstrates care for providing access to
information for those who would otherwise be locked out and lose their
opportunity to use the web. It aims to reach all people, extending the
range of communication.

> To this end,
> we believe that HTML is, and must remain, a language through
> which the /semantics/ of the page are expressed and we
> equally believe that presentational elements have no place
> in a language intended to communicate medium-neutral semantics."

My 2 cents.

Best Regards,
Laura
--