[html4all] Headers= up

Leif Halvard Silli lhs at malform.no
Fri Sep 7 19:23:34 PDT 2007

Don't know what happened to my message ... something ate it.

So I better put it short. Have a look at Ben's message to Publich HTML:

2007-09-07 21:13:03 +0200 "Ben 'Cerbera' Millard"
<cerbera at projectcerbera.com>:

[ ... issues in Anne's web log ... ]
> Oh, and I'm [famous] now. :-) If you are new to the HTML5 tables
> effort, that
> blog entry from Anne is an excellent introduction, imho.

> [famous] <http://annevankesteren.nl/2007/09/html-tables>

And read Anne's blog. It shows some misconspetions about @SCOPE vs.
@headers (which I was explaining ... but he make it sound as if
@headers is almost against the nature of the table.)

I recommend tryhing Anne's table [1] in the table inspector [2]. You
will see that if you test the table _without_ any attributes at all
(use the option to turn off @SCOPE and @HEADERS), then it works almost
the same as it does with the HTML5 algorithm _with_ the @SCOPE
attributes that Anne applied. (It is of course funny that one can
achieve the "no attributes" solution that Anne pledges for with HTML4
- but not in current HTML5 ... )

Rob, or anyone, there is small difference: HTML4 without @SCOPE shows
more headers - but I think in this case the HTML5 show is better.
Agree? (Chime in, you aural browsers users!) But what I wonders about:
how do I make the same happen in HTML4? Hint: the challenge is the row
with <th colspan="4">, which makes it impossible to use headers="".

[1] <http://annevankesteren.nl/2007/09/tmb-overview>
[2] <http://james.html5.org/tables/table_inspector.html>