[html4all] Excellent article on standards committees

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Sep 10 03:09:00 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 12:35:08PM +0100, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Loved the penultimate paragraph :
>
> > In the end, technical committees need members who can
>  > talk to other people; who listen to a different point
>  > of view and can respectfully disagree; who can admit
>  > when someone has a better idea; and who can check their
>  > ego at the door.

My experience strongly supports this view, and the other observations made in
the article.

On the subject of gender inequalities, I have noticed that
accessibility-related working groups tend to be somewhat better in this
respect, though by no means optimal (I am thinking here in terms of equality
of representation and participation, not in relation to more subtle issues).

The HTML working group is, at least judging by those who post to the list,
decidedly more male-dominated - it would be more accurate to say
overwhelmingly so.

I agree with Lauren that a small, committed group that remains intact for the
whole of the project is the ideal, as long as it is properly representative, a
point also emphasized in the article.