[html4all] Wiki or e-mail (<meta> : List rules)

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Sep 11 14:10:41 PDT 2007

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> if you don't want to disturb the list rules wiki page as presently
> constituted, but want to make an argument for an extremely terse
> list, please use the "Discussion" page associated with the wiki
> page to outline your position and suggestion...

Rather ambivalent about this.  As I explained some time ago,
I have almost no experience of Wikis, but I am a regular
e-mail user and feel comfortable using it.  So if I want
to advance a position, I prefer to do so via e-mail,
and then -- if consensus can be reached via e-mal --
I would feel better about then incorporating that
into the content of the Wiki.  To use a "Discussion"
page seems very indirect to me : I'd prefer to speak
to people directly, through the medium of e-mail,
rather than add an entry to a Discussion page and
then either hope that someone reads it, or (worse ?)
send an e-mail just to draw peoples' attention to it ...

And so as to be "on topic", I'll summarise my
arguments about no v. brief v. prolix rules in
a separate message.

** Phil.