[html4all] List rules

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Sep 11 14:28:03 PDT 2007

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> the only reason
> i expanded principles into practices is that i think it essential
> that the ground rules be made crystal clear before one subscribes;
> especially when it comes to the protocol of enforcing list rules --
> if we don't warn people of the consequences of their actions
> up front, we will be deluged with complaints that we are applying
> arbitrary rules -- i agree that the list should be brief and succinct,
> but i also think it necessary that process be clearly defined before
> anyone subscribes...

OK, let me take the last point first : we /have/ subscribed,
and we had no rules when we did so.  And we have survived
the experience.  Now, if we start formulating rules, we
are somehow suggesting that those who join after us are
potentially less self-disciplined than we.  I would prefer
that, rather than rules, we have Principles, and that --
just like our Mission Statement / Constitution / w-h-y --
we make it plain that acceptance of the Principles
(as with acceptance of the Mission Statement / Constitution / w-h-y)
is taken as a given if someone elects to join the group.

So, if I were to try to identify the Principles, what
would they be ?  Something to the effect that this
Group (and its mailing list, and its Wiki) is
characterised by tolerance and mutual respect :
we debate, we don't argue; we listen, we don't
shout; we respect the right of others to disagree.
We are happy if others want to join, and the only
thing we ask of them is that they accept this ethos.
If they do, and they are happy to work within it,
then long may they remain a member; but if they
choose instead to ignore it, and to behave in
such a way as to cause offence, then they will be
asked to leave.  And if they refuse, they will be
removed.

Are these rules ?  I don't think so.   Perhaps
others do, we shall see !

** Phil.

P.S. And if I could have just /one/ rule, it
would be "You may never criticise another list
member for top-posting; how a list member chooses
to post is up to him or her, and not for any
other to judge" :-)