[html4all] Copy of e-mail to Karl Dubost

Philip TAYLOR Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Mon Sep 17 15:52:02 PDT 2007

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

[long snip]

> He's on your side, but he does the difficult job of being a W3C staff
> contact. I have done that job (but never in as difficult a group as HTML
> WG), and I have an immense respect for the people who do it. I also know
> Karl, and trust him personally. I think this exchange has been more about
> misunderstanding between people who have the same goals and ideas than
> anything else, which makes it depressing to see it held up as though it
> was something that should upset people.

Please don't misunderstand my motives.  I too have considerable
respect for Karl, and have frequently seen him supporting "our"
position against "them".  But on this occasion I felt his
analysis was incorrect, and responded.  As Karl saw fit
to move the correspondence off WWW-HTML, the best way
to ensure that others in HTML4All were aware of it was
to re-send it to this list.  There was no intention of
"[holding] it up as though it was something that should upset
people" but rather of "holding it up as a point of disagreement
on which others might wish to comment" (as you have so
admirably done !).

** Phil.