[html4all] Copy of e-mail to Karl Dubost

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Tue Sep 18 03:34:27 PDT 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:50:35 +0200, Joshue O Connor
<joshue.oconnor at cfit.ie> wrote:

>> Again, this is true.
>
> Yes but I have to chip in with an addendum here, as I think it is
> actually *half* true or maybe 80/20.

Sure.

> To put what we are doing within the
> WG within a social context I think there is a responsibility, whether on
> the part of government or other public service providers, to ensure that
> the technologies used by the public are of the highest standard possible

And there is a responsibility on us as consumers to say "well,
accessibility isn't my personal concern, all I need is a decent zoom and
to change the font colours and size for dialogues. But I am not going to
buy into supporting some company that continually screws over
accessibility".

Likewise, we elect governments who make or unmake laws requiring support
for various concerns that may not appear as financially attractive as a
total laissez-faire system. And we should tell them that they need to make
this stuff matter. (Where it coes back to business is that businesses are
in competition. If one company invests too long in accessibility and
another doesn't do it at all, we risk being uncompetitive long enough to
suffer seriously. If this is made a requirement, then not investing risks
you competitiveness. The real world is messier than that of course, and
accessibility is a lot of areas to cover. But the rough idea is...)

[Exit stage left, remove tie and corporate tieclip...]

cheers

Chaals

--
chaals at opera.com   http://snapshot.opera.com - Kestrel (9.5α1)