[html4all] Social Responsibility

Laura Carlson laura.lee.carlson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 09:40:14 PDT 2007

In another message Josh wrote:

> I've added my bit to the Goals page and will gladly move it if you think
> it would be better.

Having it on the goals page fine with me, Josh.  Social responsibility
is very much related to the goal statements.  Social responsibility is
the heart of the mission statement.

f.y.i...

The goals are statements describing what html4all hopes to accomplish.
They refer to things we need to undertake to achieve the mission of
html4all. The goals are the answer to the question "what?"

The mission statement is  core group values which guides
geographically scattered group members to work independently and yet
collectively toward our Goals. It is the group's highest sense of
purpose.

The mission is the answer to the question "why?" What is vitally
important about html4all? It is the cause or purpose -- the bigger
picture -- beyond the work itself. Much of what motivates and inspires
people to make meaning and take action should be contained in this
"why" aspect.

Things to ask that will get at mission and purpose:

* Why are we doing this?
* Why does this work matter?
* What's most important about this work?
* What is our unique role?
* How do we "make a difference"?

Best Regards,
Laura