[html4all] ACRONYM and ABBR

Gregory J. Rosmaita oedipus at hicom.net
Sun Apr 27 09:42:50 PDT 2008

aloha, rob!

thanks for your insightful comments and feedback...  (although at this
point, i expect nothing less from you!)

my initialisms versus abbreviations proposal is actually quite old,
the plan having been to submit it as a suggestion for XHTML2, but
then the MarkUp activity split in two, and so i ported my concerns
to HTML5...

i realize that it is rather inconsistent of me to advocate 2
abbreviated forms, especially since i have been a vociferous advocate
of deprecating BLOCKQUOTE and having a single QUOTE or Q element, with
the rest left to styling. as explained in:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/MuchAdoAboutQ

also, i should have cited the excellent "executive summary" of the
abbreviated form issues, as logged in:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/AbbrAcronym01

i am not opposed to dropping the request/recommendation for a new
element -- IABBR -- which would have superseded ACRONYM (and could have
been mapped to ACRONYM for backwards compatibility), as long as the types
suggested for IABBR are ported to ABBR...  perhaps, in the spare time i
don't have, i will be able to re-articulate my position using but a
single element, ABBR to cover abbreviated forms of all types...

as for default acronym/abbreviation expansion, such as that discussed for
NATO, i am wary of the "tower of babel" phenomenon, where use and custom
in one natural language differs greatly from another (think of the UK,
US, canada, australia, and new zealand as 5 countries separated by a
common language), unless such a default is defined in an external
resource (akin to a stylesheet) so that an expansion is available for
all abbreviated forms, no matter how "common" or "universal"

gregory.
DELIBERATION, n.  The act of examining one's bread to determine
which side it is buttered on.
                         Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
           Gregory J. Rosmaita: oedipus at hicom.net
  United Blind Advocates for Talking Signs: http://ubats.org/