[html4all] WG Process

Laura Carlson laura.lee.carlson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 08:02:39 PST 2008

John wrote:
> Actually Chaals, your perspective as both a Browser vendor principle,
> coupled with your extensive understanding and experience from within
> W3C is extremely valuable, so thanks for sticking around.

I agree one hundred percent with John here. Chaals, your perspective,
experience, and advice is precious. Thank you so very much for being
here.

Phil wrote:
>> I think I'm going to pull out of the HTML 5 WG completely

I agree one hundred percent with Chaals on this one. That, Phil, would
be a shame. A true pity.

John wrote:
> Yes, as Laura stated, having the WG
> agree to look at a proposed re-write for @ALT lends some
> encouragement, but what of the other open issues, plus others as and
> when they emerge?

Hopefully following the issue and process advice that Jason and Chaals
outlined [1] will work. As Chaals mentioned the working group hasn't
made a decision that requires the editor to do something in terms of
the draft yet. So alt will be a good test (probably the first test) to
see if the existing system can succeed.

Please do try following Jason's and Chaals' issue advise for other
issues too. Give it your best.

If it doesn't work, having followed Jason's and Chaals'  process
advise may very well come in handy.

Chaals wrote:
> Ian's approach is basically that he thinks the browser makers are the
> most critical part of the chain, because if they don't implement then
> the spec is worthless anyway.

This would relate to the "Priority of Constituencies" design principle. It says:

"In case of conflict, consider users over authors over implementors
over specifiers over theoretical purity. In other words costs or
difficulties to the user should be given more weight than costs to
authors; which in turn should be given more weight than costs to
implementors; which should be given more weight than costs to authors
of the spec itself, which should be given more weight than those
proposing changes for theoretical reasons alone. Of course, it is
preferred to make things better for multiple constituencies at once."
[2]

Best Regards,
Laura
[1] https://html4all.org/mailman/private/talk_html4all.org/2008-February/thread.html#366