[html4all] #headers back in HTML5

Leif Halvard Silli lhs at malform.no
Fri Mar 21 10:48:54 PDT 2008

Henri Sivonen 08-03-21 13.05:   ­
> On Mar 21, 2008, at 13:29, Steven Faulkner wrote:
> >  I have been keeping an eye on the htmlwg list, didn't see this
> >  announced or mentioned, did anybody else see anything?
>
> It was not announced on a mailing list (most spec edits aren't).

But some big ones are.

Though, you Henri left one small hint at the bottom of a message with
this subject (posted 15th of March): "xml:lang in the light of error
frequencies". [1] There you added:

    As before, I think we should make zero-width image and iframe border
    conforming, HTML 4.01 Strict table attributes (except axis)
    conforming and make iframe width/height conforming.

When I saw it, I almost wrote a note to this list about it. (The only
thing I wonder about in that message, is when «before» was.) ;-)

3 days later, it was added. [2]

[...]
> >  is it just me or does the re-inclusion without any recent debate or
> >  apparent mention of it within the working group seem a bit odd (as
> >  far a WG process is concerned)?
>
> Not really. The headers attribute was included as the result of the
> *research* and algorithm prototyping (mostly by Ben Millard and James
> Graham) inspired by the previous debate in the WG. There was a delay
> between the debate and the spec change due to the massive feedback
> queue.

Many thank you-s to them.

Perhaps it is about time starting to research the axis attribute? (In
HTML4, axis belongs to the headers algorithm.)

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/[email protected]
[2]
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/commit-watchers-whatwg.org/2008/000568.html
--