[html4all] #headers back in HTML5

Robert J Burns rob at robburns.com
Fri Mar 21 12:59:22 PDT 2008

Just to add to a little to this conversation regarding table
attributes and the restoration of the headers attribute.  I think
another result of the careful examination of these issues by the WG
members months back was that scope attribute suffers from many of the
same problems as the axis attribute. The scope attribute was never
clearly defined and so neither implementations nor authors ever
understood how to use or handle scope properly. I think now that the
headers attribute is back, the need for the scope attribute vanishes.
And given the inherent confusion in the specification of scope, it
would be better if HTML5 simply dropped it all together. My concern is
that our current editor becomes too rigidly and uncritically adds and
removes committed parts of the language without any concern for the
needs of users and authors.

Take care,
Rob