[html4all] FW: FW: MathML content in the wild

John Foliot - Stanford Online Accessibility Program jfoliot at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 31 14:02:35 PDT 2008

Sean Keegan wrote:
> One example is the Connexions site out of Rice University:
>
> http://cnx.org
>
> (here is one sample page - http://cnx.org/content/m11241/latest/)
>
> If using IE, you will need the MathPlayer plug-in from Design Science
> (http://www.dessci.com) to view the math.  If using FF, then the
> MathML fonts should suffice.

Cool Sean, thanks - forwarded to Ian Hickson.  I have also taken the liberty
of noting your training document here:
http://www.htctu.fhda.edu/trainings/manuals/web/MathType_5.pdf

> In the California community colleges, there is a lot of MathML Web
> pages being created from math textbooks, but this is used for creating
> alternate formats for qualified students.  Nearly all of it is
> off-line.

Yep, an important consideration.  Much content is blocked from Google for
many reasons, and I suspect that many instances of HTML that are exemplars
of "accessible design" (advanced tables, your mathML examples, etc.) are
in/at sites such as educational institutions (where ensuring accessibility
is *mandated*) and are at locations where access is restricted to enrolled
students.

> Take care,
> sean

Cheers!