[html4all] alt Flickr and iPhoto/dot Mac

Robert J Burns rob at robburns.com
Sat May 10 05:45:17 PDT 2008

Hello 4all,

I'm interested in the hearing the views of this group on the topic I
recently raised of the age-old Flickr example. I switched it from
Flickr to iPhoto/dot Mac because that is what I am familiar with, and
Smylers acknowledged on the WG list that it is substantially the same
example.

The thread starts here[1], but my point was essentially that the
Flickr example doesn't hold water. In light of the newly drafted IMG
section I wonder if the drafters and others could comment on this
concrete example. Essentially I argue that the iPhoto/ dot Mac
authoring faces no such dilemma, as so often argued. Instead, the
implementors of the iPhoto/dot Mac authoring tool have all the
information they require to produce a conforming and accessible web
page using the titles either generated by the application or titles
further improved and made more human readable by the authors
themselves. Either way it should be simple to produce an HTML5 web
document — and web application in this case — that is accessible,
conforming and automating the bulk upload of photos.

So my curiosity relates to two things:

1) if we apply the tenets of the newly re-drafted image element and
the related alt best practices to this iPhoto/dot Mac example does it
overcome the often cited Flickr objections.
2) I'd like to hear from assistive technology users what the current
situation is in using this photo gallery[2]. My sense is that Apple
has gone way too far with javascript and — aside from the other
frustrations and degraded user experience that creates — I'm concerned
that it may also be thoroughly inaccessible (leaving aside the issue
of human-unfriendly image titles like IMG_1234.JPG). So if others
could check how JAWS and VoiceOver, etc. does with this site, I'd be
interested in hearing the results.

Just to clarify the titles of the images could be improved (by me in a
manual and potentially cumbersome process). However, my
interest is in assessing the overall accessibility of the application/
documents when relying only on the bulk processing of the photos. My
sense is that this example shows that requiring appropriate alt values
places no insurmountable burden on the implementors of such bulk
automated authoring tools nor necessarily on the authors using those
tools (where I'm free to add meaningful titles to as many of the
photos as I'd like with each one improving the accessibility and
overall usability of my photo galleries).

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/
0034.html> with a few replies in May