[html4all] Issues for the Issue-tracker

Robert J Burns rob at robburns.com
Tue May 20 15:53:36 PDT 2008

Hello Gregory and 4all,

I'm starting to make some progress on the issue tracker items I spoke
about earlier. My list has grown to about 30 some items. Many of these
I feel should get into the draft sooner rather than later so that we
can start to get feedback from implementations in the same way
implementations are already anxiously adding preliminary experimental
support for the video element for example.

Also since some of these issues involve the introduction of new
elements (something I would try to avoid for greater compatibility
with legacy browsers), the earlier they appear in the draft of the
HTML5 recommendation, the greater potential legacy support they may
have[1][2]. After all, unlike the video element, UAs merely need to
add these to the appropriate list in their parsing implementations to
ensure something like the 'subtext' element (if that's what it gets
called in the draft)[3] is parsed into the DOM in the same way as a
legacy degradation).

So I want to send each issue to Gregory and to the HTMl4All list as a
separate email so that it can be discussed here as Gregory adds it to
the issue-tracker and hopefully get discussed and advocated for at the
teleconferences that I will no doubt be unable to attend. Many of
these issues deal directly with accessibility, but some deal
indirectly with accessibility and instead deal more directly with
general authoring, semantics, and other issues we've discussed
previously. Nevertheless, I hope to find support for them within this
group.

Laura had previously suggested attaching  action items to these issues
to ensure they get proper consideration. As I said earlier, I do not
think I can attend the teleconferences, but I would be happy to accept
assignments to draft corresponding language for the HTML
recommendation for any of these newly raised issues.

A few Issues to follow — each in their own message — with more in the
pipeline.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ThoughtExperimentInGracefulDegradation