[html4all] pronunciation, homophones, and homographs

Robert J Burns rob at robburns.com
Sun May 25 16:09:03 PDT 2008

Hi Philip,

On May 25, 2008, at 9:58 PM, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

> Robert J Burns wrote:
>> Hello 4all,
>>
>> [apologies for the long email]
>>
>> I've been doing some thinking about aural pronunciation of HTML and
>> homophones and homographs for some time now. [long snip]
>
> An interesting and provocative article, Rob : congratulations !
> I'll bounce some of your ideas off some of my non-native-speaker
> (of English) linguist friends and feed back any comments they
> may have.

Thanks for the reply. That's certainly a point-of-view I'd like to
hear form.  suppose in many ways English has a greater need for a
separate phonetic alphabet than other languages, but when someone
wants to encode phonemes from languages other than their primary
language, it makes sense to me that they would want to use graphemes
derived from their own familiar primary language. One example I can
think of is even the use of a Latin Letter H for an unvoiced glottal
fricative which matches how that letter is often used in English.
However, for someone whose primary language is Spanish a Latin letter
J may make a better mnemonic. Likewise for speakers of Arabic, Urdu,
Korean, Hebrew, etc. Using appropriate mnemonic graphemes for each
language makes the use of a phonetic alphabet easier and more likely
to be widely adopted.

Another important issue is that phonetic alphabets change over time —
sometimes swapping one grapheme for another in the representation of a
particular phoneme. By encoding the phonemes themselves (and not the
graphemes representing the phonemes), the changes to a phonetic
alphabet can be handled by updating fonts while maintaining the text
document completely unchanged. Similarly, a user can change from one
phonetic alphabet to another simply by changing fonts (like from the
IPA to the Uralic Phonetic Alphabet). Also, input systems can be
localized to the users needs so that a user may use their usual
keyboard or a character input palette depicting the graphemes familiar
to their primary language even while the input system is actually
inputing phoneme characters and not grapheme characters.

Finally, I think this could lead to better international interchange
of phoneme text. Every user can view a phoneme text document in the
phonetic alphabet they're most familiar with. I open the document on
my computer and due to my user defaults, the OS automatically
associates an IPA font with the phonemes and I see IPA phonetic
alphabetic graphemes. However, someone else opens the same document
and they see the graphemes corresponding to the phonetic alphabet for
their user defaults. For others, they simply hear the synthesized
speech uttering the phonemes.

As I said before this is a departure for Unicode that I expect would
face some resistance. Unicode has, up until now, been focussed
exclusively on encoding graphemes as characters: they might have
trouble even thinking about a character as a phoneme (and not a
grapheme). However, I think this is a natural evolution for Unicode
and since it wouldn't need to use any of the precious basic
multilingual plane code points, it shouldn't be much of a burden to
devote maybe 512 code points to phonemes out of the 800 thousand code
points still available for assignment in Unicode.

Take care,
Rob