[html4all] New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft)

Vlad Alexander (XStandard) vlad.alexander at xstandard.com
Fri Apr 11 11:59:47 PDT 2008

> Almost *every* tool I know of that produces HTML
> produces invalid HTML
Charles, I am glad you said "almost" :-) (given what we do)

> The point of my question is that it is clearly feasible
> to produce invalid code without the web grinding to a halt
> (since the web works despite being almost all of the HTML
> on it being invalid)
The Web only works for the majority, but certainly not work for everyone.

> A piece of software gets images from somewhere and puts
> them automatically out on the Web. What should the
> developer of that piece of software program it to do
> when an image arrives from whatever pipe they arrive
> from without alternative text?
Just because a Web browser can render image files, we automatically assume that these files are content? In this case, these image files are not content, they are just eye-candy, and therefore should have alt="".

Regards,
-Vlad
http://xstandard.com