[html4all] alt issue: image uploaded in bulk are not Web content

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Apr 15 10:43:19 PDT 2008

Vlad Alexander (XStandard) wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> What is the difference between uploading a 1000 JPEG files versus 1000 TIFF files?

Little, though the former could be intended
to be rendered by an unaugmented browser whilst
the latter could not ...

  What makes JPEG files content?

Their incorporation into a web page.

>> what is the basis for your assertion ...
> Content must be authored. When a person uploads images in bulk, no content is authored.

Agreed.

  All that is happening is a Web application is displaying different decorative images through a template.

No, that is your interpretation : I can see no
basis for your claim that an image becomes
"decorative" simply because it was uploaded
at the same time as several (or many) others ...

** Phil.