[html4all.org] Wiki Categories

Robert Burns rob at robburns.com
Wed Aug 22 14:07:29 PDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Being back on Wikimedia is quite nice. I hadn't realized how much the
W3C wiki was holding me back. I notice that some HTML is forbidden
(which is probably fine), but at least it supports regular table
syntax so we can make accessible and richer semantic tables.

I setup some proposed categories on my own user page on the wiki[1].
For one thing this will help navigating our wiki content. For
another, it helps think about what content we want and need. I also
created an umbrella category called "Categories"[2]. This way,, as we
create categories we can make sure to add the category "Categories"
and we'll the wikimedia software will maintain a complete
hierarchical index off topics/categories. This capability may be
built-in to the wikimedia software already, but I'm not aware of it
(the capability to view a listing of all categories that is).

It occurred to me that we may have a problem when WhatWG discovers
our wiki and want to edit it to "correct" our misconceptions. We
might want to think  about how we should deal with that.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <https://html4all.org/wiki/index.php/User:Rob#Potential_Categories>
[2]: <https://html4all.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Categories>