[html4all] Investigating the proposed alt attribute recommendations in HTML 5

Robert Burns rob at robburns.com
Tue Aug 28 16:50:36 PDT 2007

Hi Steve,

I took a look at the page you're putting together and i think its a
good demonstration[1]. I really think the way their wording this is
beyond bizarre.  For example when Lachlan says[2]: "where no alt text
has been provided and is virtually impossible to acquire.". I have no
idea what that even means. Where would one "acquire" alt text. Like
all of the text in the document its authored by the author. The same
author that elects to add a photo to a web page can also elect to add
the alt text for that photo. They seem to want to facilitate the
publishing of every photo someone shoots to the point that even the
photo's of the lens cap will be on the web. My impression of the
photos authors publish on the web is that they are the photos they
have taken care to order into groups or photo albums. Often times,
they're the photos that the author has cropped, sometime even color
or brightness corrected. Adding text description could just be a
normal part of that process: a normal part of the process that would
benefit disabled users and users of search engines too.

Having said all that. I think you might want to stress some more on
you page  that in the use case they're addressing —  where photo
library software is involved —  that  photo library software usually
takes control of the filenames and makes them deliberately machine
readable and much less human readable.

As an editorial suggestion, I'd also say you should use the word
filename instead of title. Title is ambiguous because it could refer
to the metadata title of the photo (a good place to store and extract
alt text in this use case); the title attribute for an element; or
the filename as you're using it.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://www.wat-c.org/HTMLWG/>