[html4all] HTMLWG was Re: html authoring guidelines

Vlad Alexander (XStandard) vlad.alexander at xstandard.com
Sat Nov 24 17:59:08 PST 2007

Hi Charles,

> I'm intrigued to know of good reasons people cannot join the HTML-WG.
There is only one reason that I can think of why people "cannot" join the HTML-WG - conflict with the W3C patent policy.

However, there are good reason why people who do want to participate on the development of the future markup language for the Web and have time to do so, "don't" join the HTML-WG:

1. Some people are really turned off by the bullying tone taken by some WG members. Some feel that the HTML-WG culture is that of 'you are with us or you are against us'.

2. Some people strongly object/disagree with some of the design principles of X/HTML 5. Joining the HTML-WG is in effect endorsing the design principles of X/HTML 5.

3. Some people feel that the HTML-WG suffers from a 'not invented here' mindset, so prospective participants may not join because they feel their contributions will only be struck down.

4. Some people feel that the X/HTML 5 spec is written to meet the needs/wants of browser vendors. Prospective participants from other interest groups may feel that their needs/contributions will be marginalized.

So it is important to have discussion and critique of X/HTML 5 outside the HTML-WG.

Regards,
-Vlad
http://xhtml.com