[html4all] Numbered headings (was HTMLWG)

Vlad Alexander (XStandard) vlad.alexander at xstandard.com
Mon Nov 26 06:35:03 PST 2007

This exercise that may illustrate the concerns I believe some people may have in joining the HTML-WG. Who knows, maybe, just maybe, we can actually improve the accessibility of X/HTML 5 in the process :-)

Let's say I'm an authoring tool vendor who wants to improve accessibility of the next markup language for the Web, and you are on the HTML-WG.

--- start request message ---
Hi HTML-WG guys! Most of our users don't know how to use numbered headings (h1 to h6) correctly, making it hard to enforce the correct use of numbered headings in a user-friendly manner. This is a priority for us, because we feel that correct use of headings makes Web pages significantly more accessible.

We hear however that XHTML 2 has a new way of authoring headings using the section/h construct. Our experience tells us that the section/h construct would make it easier for authoring tool vendors to build interfaces that make sure non-technical users use headings properly. So would you please consider adding a section/h construct to X/HTML 5?
--- end request message --

I wonder what the response of the HTML-WG members would be?

Regards,
-Vlad
http://xhtml.com