[html4all] Accessible to whom (or to which groups) ?

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Oct 25 15:07:54 PDT 2007

Joshue O Connor wrote:

>> Would you be happy to see
>> a similar statement in an analogous document
>> that claims that accessibility is about making
>> web content accessible to black people, or
>> white people, or Muslims, or Jains, or Catholics ?
>
> Of course not. That's ridiculous and, I am sorry, but in this context
> also facetious.

It was not intended to be facetious : rather it was intended
to illustrate the point that by singling out any one group
as deserving of special treatment, we are automatically
devaluing all other groups.  But my real point is that
the language used in the introductory prose of WCAG 1.0
and 2.0 is /divisive/ when it should be /inclusive/ :
if accessibility is to become a reality, then we need
to /encourage/ people to subscribe to the philosophy,
and I believe we will only succeed in that when people
can see that accessibility is for /them/, not just for
the members of some particular group.

** Phil.