[html4all] phonetic of some word or name

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Wed Oct 31 14:33:58 PDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:04:12 -0400, Andy Mabbett
<usenet200309 at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <4722F876.7010308 at free.fr>,
> aurelien.levyatfree.fr@?.?.invalid writes
>
>> did you think as me that it can be useful to have a new html element to
>> markup phonetic pronunciation of a word or name.
>
> [Hello folks: my first post here]
>
> I thank that might (at least in the interim) be a good case for a
> microformat.

I think that is a bad idea. There is already markup in HTML that does
this, it is already implemented natively in the biggest browser, so I
don't see why we should do something different. Multiplying the kinds of
markup that tools and users need to be able to get right always increases
complexity and likelihood of problems (which is already stupidly high in a
lot of our industry). This case does not appear to offer any justification
for that increase.

cheers

Chaals
--