[html4all] phonetic of some word or name

Andy Mabbett usenet200309 at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Oct 31 14:04:12 PDT 2007

In message <4722F876.7010308 at free.fr>,
aurelien.levyatfree.fr@?.?.invalid writes

>did you think as me that it can be useful to have a new html element to
>markup phonetic pronunciation of a word or name.

[Hello folks: my first post here]

I thank that might (at least in the interim) be a good case for a
microformat.

Something like, say:

                (pronounced "<span class="pronounced">ed-in-buro</span>"

and

                (pronounced "<span class="phonetic">[UTF-8 phonetic
                characters]</span>"

(the second from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh> )

                "Tokyo metropolis"]

(the latter from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo> )

When I get chance I'll suggest it on one of the microformats mailing
lists

--
Andy Mabbett
            *  Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>